Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The Truth Will Set You Free



While visiting Scripture Union on May 30 to deliver materials for Test Teaching, I was met at the door by staff member, Joe, one of the staff who is test teaching the module on Truth. He’s been teaching a Primary 5 class. With obvious excitement, he told me “I just taught Lesson 5 yesterday, the story about Corrie Ten Boom, which has the Values Promise, ‘I will believe that God will always help me.’”
“How did it go?” I asked. 
“During the application, we discussed things we sometimes trust in to protect us which included some superstitions. One especially involved tying a certain string around the wrist or ankle to protect them from a perceived curse involving numbers. Pupils quickly pointed to classmates who were wearing such strings as protection. We naturally talked about the truth values verse, John 8:32 “And you will know the truth and the truth will set you free,” and how this superstition is a lie from Satan to make them live in fear.  
Of course I was delighted to hear this testimony and commented how we will praise God with him for how God used that lesson in such a practical way. But…he hadn’t yet finished his story!
“Yes, and I went on to challenge them to truly trust God alone to help them, not a string tied around their wrist. After I prayed for them, the pupils started removing their strings as they repeated together the Values Promise: ‘I will believe that God will always help me.’”
How thrilling to hear how God is using these teachers and the lessons! May this be the beginning of spiritual transformation for many.

1 comment: